The other day, I yelled, “Bugger, I forgot to bring my cossie to the beach!”
I’ve obviously picked up on some Aussie slang and I could probably pass as a native now. Just kidding, I really said, “Oh, crap! I forgot to bring my bathing suit to the beach!”
With seven weeks under my belt, I have collected a decent list of Aussie slang I hear on a daily basis or read in magazines or books. Understand this, I’m living in Sydney, not the Outback so don’t be surprised if your favorite Aussie phrase didn’t make my list!
- Legendary: My co-workers say this often when they receive good news about a client. Apparently, some guy on How I Met Your Mother says this a lot too but definitely not as common in the States.
- Far Out!: My co-workers also say this when they receive bad news or when something’s unexplainable.
- I Reckon: I hear this everyday. I reckon I can’t get enough of it.
- Dodgy: another word for sketchy. This one’s my favorite!
- Arvo: afternoon
- Lollies: candy
- Sultanas: raisins (Raisin Bran is called Sultana Bran here)
- Aw, bugger!: Oh, crap!
- NMP: Not My Problem, our version of NBD
- Cossie: swimsuit
- Bloke: a man
- No, worries: If you say, “Thank You” to someone, their response is “No worries”. I want to say, “I wasn’t worrying” but I kindly resist!
I hope you enjoyed my list, mates! (BTW, people don’t use the word “mate” nearly as much as I expected)